It was so lovely last week when, out of the blue, a little message popped up from Vicky of @lightsthatflicker informing me that I had been nominated for a Leibster award! I was so touched it made my day. I eagerly read Vicky’s post to find out more about it! The Leibster award it would seem has been around for years and has a lovely sentiment behind it. It’s an award that is given to bloggers, by bloggers in a show of support and recognition. It’s also a great way of finding out more about the person behind the laptop and promoting other bloggers we may not have come across yet! I pinched the rules from Vicky’s post, I hope she doesn’t mind 🙂
- Thank and link the persons blog who nominated you.
- Answer 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions given to you by the nominator.
- Nominate up to 11 other blogs who have 1000 followers or less on their blog.
- Create 11 new questions for your nominess to answer.
- Let the nominees know your blog post is up
11 Random facts about me…
- I have a twin sister (non identical)
- I met my husband in Kavos *cringes a little*…but turns out we grew up in the same city and our parents live 5 minutes apart – weird I know or fate as I like to say 🙂
- I can play the cup song (worth a google if you don’t know what it is)
- I love rugby and even used to play back in the day
- I don’t like coffee – controversial I know
- I’m a junior doctor specialising in anaesthetics
- I used to sing in a gospel choir at university
- I can play the guitar
- I hate/ have a phobia of mushrooms!
- I didn’t get my ears pierced until I was 25
- I will never say no to a cup of tea
1.How did you get into blogging?
If you follow my blog you’ll know that I’m very new to this. I did however (much to my husband’s annoyance) talk about starting a beauty blog for well over a year beforehand. I remember reading an inspirational quote one day and that was the shove I needed to actually get on and start blogging!
2. Who are you favourite bloggers? (if you have any) and why?
I’m very proud of my friend Katie, who in the last year has set up an amazing ethical fashion blog with her very own Saiint sister, Diana. These girls showcase really cool brands from all over the world who use sustainable practices to produce beautiful clothes, shoes and accessories. It’s all about slowing fashion down! I’ve learnt a lot from Katie and she’s certainly made me think twice about where I buy my clothes from. I’ve also been introduced to some amazing brands who I never would have stumbled across otherwise so thank you Saint sisters! (www.saiint.co.uk
I also really love the ‘Rock my’ blogs. I first got into Rock My Wedding about 3 years ago when I got engaged and I was really excited to see they now have a Rock My Family and Rock My Style blog too. It’s like I’ve grown up with them! I get a lot of inspiration from their blogs and could spend hours just starring at the gorgeous weddings they showcase! A must for any brides-to-be!
I’ve recently discovered The Spilt Milk blog which I’m loving. It’s written by a new mother with an interest in skincare and a brilliant sense of humour! Her posts are really witty and always make me laugh.
3. How did you come up with the name of your blog?
I found coming up with a name the trickiest part! I wanted it to be catchy and related to beauty in some way. I always wear my hair up in a top knot and that rhymed nicely with beauty spots so that was that! My blog was almost called ‘An apple a day’ but I didn’t feel that had any beauty connotations and wasn’t the most original.
4. How would you say is the best way to take a good photo? Is it the device? Lighting? etc.
I am by no means a great photographer but what I have learnt is that lighting is key! Ideally natural light is best. I don’t think the device matters too much (unless you want to print your photos). I have taken some lovely photos on my iphone. I do try and take photos with my Cannon bridge camera for my blog though as they have a better resolution.
5. What’s your favourite app for promoting your blog and why?
The only app I really use for promoting my blog is Instagram. I find it really easy to use and it’s so quick to connect with people from all over the world. It’s very popular and there is a large audience out there for beauty blogs. I also use it to research the latest trends and to get inspiration for just about anything! I could spend hours on Instagram everyday…ok maybe I do already.
6. Favourite beauty/makeup product finds of this month?
This month I treated myself to ‘Facial in a box’ by Sarah Chapman. I fell in love with this brand when I first purchased Skin Insurance last year. The products feel really luxurious and have a gorgeous smell to them. I’m currently using Overnight facial which is wonderful. Everyone needs to check her products out because they are amazing! Space NK are stockists.
7. What hobbies do you have? Other then blogging of course.
I love music, so in my downtime I like to pick up the guitar and learn the latest song that I’ve heard on the radio. I’ve also recently got back into yoga after a wonderful trip to Thailand. I find it really relaxing and great for increasing my flexibility.
8. Do you have any tips for people wanting to start off a blog?
My advice would be to do a little bit of research before you start. I read a few posts by already successful bloggers which was really helpful. I would say try and be yourself and let your personality shine through in your writing. It’s best if you can write posts on a regular basis but I know I struggle with this!
9. What’s one thing you like about my blog?
The first thing that catches my eye about your blog is the flashing picture you have on your home page (I’m sure it has a more technical name). This is really original and makes me sit up and want to read your blog posts! You’re also really good at posting regularly!
10. Trying to be positive in every day life, how do you try and stay positive? What makes you smile?
My husband is very into mindfulness which is all about being in the moment and being aware of your surroundings. I find this helpful if I’m worrying about something that might not even happen. Also in my line of work I get a daily reminder of how lucky I am to have health and happiness at this moment in time and never to take it for granted. Don’t sweat the small stuff, life’s too short.
Lots of things make me smile; my husband full stop, my grandma dancing to Beyonce at my wedding, watching my parents have the best time at Glastonbury, seeing my friends happy, receiving cards in the post (I love mail!) but nothing beats a cup of tea in bed 🙂
Who to nominate…
This is Sumera’s blog! A fellow beauty addict Sumera is great at product reviews and sharing beauty tips! Watch this space as we are going to be working on something fun together!
My second nomination is the lovely Gyudy! I find her product reviews really helpful and we seem to have similar taste in products!
This is Maxine’s blog! Maxine was really kind to me when I first started blogging and told me about bloglovin! Maxine blogs about her adventures up north in Manchester!
Right then girls here are my questions for you!
1. Describe yourself in 3 words
2. What is your best beauty secret or tip? (We won’t tell anyone)
3. How long have you been blogging for and what made you get into it?
4. If you could only request one song from the DJ, what would it be and why?
5. Who are your beauty idols?
6. What advice would give to newbie bloggers?
7. Did you make any new year resolutions this year and what were they? (I’m nosey)
8. What is your proudest achievement?
9. Do you have any hobbies?
10. What’s your favourite quote?
Looking forward to seeing your answers! This was fun! Thanks Vicky 😊